Date in History: 1830 to present
The Hoard museum has over 150 quilts in its collection dating from 1830. Designs range from patchwork to Victorian crazy quilts to original appliques.
The museum’s first quilt was donated in 1946. This quilt is a basket design with over 700 signatures of the citizens of Fort Atkinson made by the women of the Methodist Church as a fund raiser. Our newest quilt is another signature quilt done in 2005 at the family reunion of the Klement family.
Some are well worn due to constant use and some lack the expertise of fine needlework, but each is cherished for the story that it tells of the art of quilting.
This historic document aired on the radio as an Historic Minute on 09/11/2006.