Date in History: 1940 to present
Fort Community Credit Union, now headquartered at 800 Madison Ave in Fort Atkinson, began back in 1940 as a small credit union for the employees of Moe Light, a business that was located in the Oak Street industrial park where Five Alarm Fire is today (2006). When Thomas Industries acquired Moe Light in the 1950s, the name was changed to the Thomas Credit Union.
By 1980 this little credit union had grown to hold over $5 million dollars in assets and its burgeoning membership led its Board of Directors to adopt a new name “the Fort Community Credit Union.” Today Fort Community Credit Union – with branch offices in Fort Atkinson, Whitewater and Jefferson – has over 14,000 members and assets in excess of 105 million dollars.
This historic document aired on the radio as an Historic Minute on 04/24/2006.