Covid-19 Update
The Hoard Historical Museum wants all visitors to be comfortable and safe during their visit to the museum.  The museum strongly encourages visitors to wear masks during their visit to the museum. We have disposable masks and hand sanitizer available for all to use.  We also encourage visitors to practice social distancing and stay at least 6 feet away from other visitors not in their group. We thank you for your cooperation during this time.

Hours of Operation
– Tuesdays through Saturdays 9:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. CLOSED SUNDAY AND MONDAY

FREE ADMISSION – There is no admission charge to visit the Hoard Museum. Contributions to our Donation Box are gratefully accepted. A suggested cash donation of $5.00 per person or $10 per family helps preserve and share the history and cultural heritage of the Fort Atkinson area. Thank you!

Our Mission

The Hoard Historical Museum collects, preserves, and shares the history of the Fort Atkinson area and Jefferson County, from its earliest inhabitants to the present day.

Our Facility

The Hoard Historical Museum in Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin, is a regional resource for local history and cultural heritage, as well as a community gathering place. It exists as the result of a unique partnership between the City of Fort Atkinson and the Fort Atkinson Historical Society, since 1939. The National Dairy Shrine joined these two partners in 1980.

As both a City Department and a private membership organization, the Museum receives about 60 percent of its funding from the City. The other 40 percent comes from Society membership fees, gifts, trust funds and grants. A 16-member Board of Directors governs the Fort Atkinson Historical Society.

In 2007, a 13,500 square foot addition was added to the Hoard Historical Museum campus, which now comprises three floors of long term and changing galleries, two historic houses, a local research library and archive, a museum store, and a large community room. Our diverse gardens, maintained by the Jefferson County Master Gardeners, grace the museum grounds.

About the National Dairy Shrine Museum

The National Dairy Shrine Museum,  which is attached to the Hoard Historical Museum, encompasses two floors and features a multimedia show, as well as numerous displays of dairying artifacts, awards, cow breeds. Founded in 1949 by a small group of visionary dairy leaders, the National Dairy Shrine now has nearly 18,000 members representing virtually every facet of the industry.