Date in History: 1867 to present
One of the oldest charitable organizations in the county, the Oakland Ladies Society was formed in 1867. The society began as the Oakland Missionary Society of the Freewill Baptist Church in Oakland Center. In 1913 when the church services where discontinued, the members changed their name to the Oakland Ladies Aid Society.
Throughout the years the ladies of Oakland Township raised money by selling homemade quilts and rag rugs to aid area families and support charities throughout Wisconsin. A quilt was always on hand to give to a family in need. The Fort Atkinson VFW awarded the organization their Community Service Award in the 1960’s for the valuable charitable work done by the Oakland ladies.
The group is much smaller now and unable to help in the way they once did, but the families and organizations they once assisted will always remember their generosity.
This historic document aired on the radio as an Historic Minute on 09/12/2005.